“JD Edwards—Embracing Business and Technology Trends, Innovating for Your Future”
Presented by Lyle Ekdahl On Nov 7th 2014.
This summary is intended for informational purpose and is not officially endorsed by Oracle
On Nov 6th, Lyle Ekdahl held a presentation for partners and customers in order to share the messages and announcements from Oracle Open World 2014. Below a brief summary of the main topics.
Please note: if you are looking for information on EnterpriseOne 9.2, please vist our blog post with extensive details on new features of JDE 9.2
“Transform ordinary organisations into extraordinary organisations!”
Organisations should embrace change, adapt to the new state in order to evolve and survive in our fast changing economy: adapting the business they are currently in, but also the way they do business, their approach on how they use technology, changing the way they think and behave.
New challenges lead organisations to come up with unpredictable, more satisfying approaches to doing business and responding to new demands:
- The Global Digitized Economy: Our world is becoming smaller due to the acceleration of communications and international exchanges, and denser due to the non-stop increasing volume of data exchanged every day. JDEdwards is following these trends, removing complexity and analysing large volumes of data in seconds.
- Accelerate Innovation: Organisations must be able to anticipate the change in customers’ needs and desires, and adopt new products and technology efficiently.
- Modern Workforce: Influencing the organisations’ approach with new demands and expectations: the “Y” generation is information driven, “always on, always sharing, always aware” and have a deep social culture.
JD Edwards development brings disruptive innovation leveraging Oracle technology around three main areas of priority:
- Mobile First : 65 mobile JDEdwards applications are now available, 8 recently announced at Oracle Open World 2014: Equipment Maintenance, Field Service, Purchasing Approvals, Expense Approvals, Health & Safety, Contact Lookups, Project Management, Inventory and Order Inquiries.
- Internet Of Things Platform (IoT): Leveraging Oracle technology to make smarter decisions for the business. This is real, disruptive, radical innovation: sensors exchange information directly with JDEdwards and the JDE Piloting System allows tracking of position, temperature and environmental conditions . Information can be read in real time on the tracking dashboard. The system can take action in case of incidents: SMS and e-mail to individuals or distribution lists or visual alerts at dashboard level.
- Big Data: Make data highly readable to deliver value to the business with One View Reporting and In-Memory Applications.
The announcements made at Oracle Open World show the commitment of Oracle in these areas:
- Mobile Apps: “Build Your Own”: Development is now ready to share the sources of the mobile applications via the Mobile Archives and it will be possible to modify them, or create brand new applications via the Mobile Applications Framework.
- Rental Management: new vertical module released
- Interfaces: Taleo & Sales Cloud standard JDEdwards interfaces
- Big Data Analytics: new Oracle Data Base 12c is now certified to support In memory Applications
- Road Map: Commitment to deliver new releases until 2021, both for World and EnterpriseOne, one major release every three years and minor updates between two major releases. Currently shipping 9.1.2 (Apps) and 9.1.4 (Tools). New tools release (9.1.5) and new app release (9.2) available in the next 12 months.
Development strategy is focused on the “targeted” JD Edwards vertical markets*:
- Asset Intensive
- Real Estate and Project Based Business.
The objective is to provide deep, comprehensive business solutions and to provide value through new technology trends. Below is a flavour of what's hot in development right now:
Applications, more verticalization:
- Outbound Inventory Management : the new module will support Consignment and Vendor Managed Inventory business models
- Planned release of the Expense Management module for World
- New Financial Report Writer module, based on One View Technology
- Tools layer 9.1.5 will bring more productivity and usability:
- Customer Driven Improvements for One View Reporting:
- Display selection criteria for all report types
- Autofind option with drill back composer
- Notification of additional record
- Navigation will be simplified thank to the cleaner, tablet inspired, new user interface look & feel
- Recent Breadcrumbs
- Increase productivity by simplifying menu navigation
- Provides quick access to recently run applications
- Preserved from sessions to session for user specific history
- E-Mail and Calendar Integration
- Media Objects will be enhanced with drag and drop capabilities to upload files directly from the desktop and new modern icons.
- Mobile Applications planned : Financial Batch Approvals, Time & Expenses Entry, Supply Chain with Scanning
- Future Capabilities: more device integration, Disconnected/Offline, Internet Of Things
- Extensibility of the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Mobile Platform: Enterprise App Store Distribution (Apple Store and Google Play download still available), Integration with Oracle Mobile Security Suite, Extensibility and Development.
*Please note that roadmap is subjected to change without notice. The information given here is intended for informational purposes only and may not be incorporated into a contract